Big Blue Day
Raise awareness of our awe-inspiring seas and marine wildlife by throwing your own day of celebration at school, work or with friends. We have lots of ideas to inspire you.
How to throw a Big Blue Day
STEP ONE: Set a date
We recommend World Oceans Day on 8 June. However, you can hold your event whenever you like.
STEP TWO: Choose an idea
Get everyone at your school, club or workplace to dress up for the day. See below for more ideas.
STEP THREE: Let us know what you're planning
Together, we’ll make your event the biggest, bluest day it can be.
STEP FOUR: Get fundraising
Set up an online giving page for your event and share it with everyone you know.
Young fundraiser who painted a beautiful blue painting.
Credit: Claudia Oliveira
Stuck for ideas? Here are some ideas for your Big Blue Day.
- Dress up – wear blue or dress as your favourite sea creature.
- Bake sale – bake and sell blue cakes or fish-shaped biscuits. You could even have a prize for the best creations.
- Sustainable fish supper – use our Good Fish Guide to create a sustainable seafood menu. Invite your friends for dinner or compete Come Dine With Me style.
- Sports day – get your family, fellow pupils or colleagues together for a blue-themed day of fun and games.
- Dye your hair – get sponsored to dye your hair bright blue.
- Make it virtual – these ideas still work even when you can't be together.