Blue carbon champions
A cross-party group of MPs has pledged to be ‘blue carbon champions’, supporting our call for a four nation blue carbon strategy which recognises the vital role marine and coastal ecosystems play in tackling the climate crisis.
With the COP26 UN Climate Change Conference taking place in Glasgow in November, it's time for action. We have a small window of opportunity to unlock the true potential of our seas and we are working with our supportive group of ‘blue carbon champions’ to build momentum for the campaign in Westminster through tabling parliamentary questions, participating in debates and being a voice for ocean-based solutions in the media.
Our ‘blue carbon champions’ who have joined the fight for the future of our ocean are:
- Duncan Baker, North Norfolk, Conservative
- Ian Byrne, Liverpool West Derby, Labour
- Lord Cameron of Dillington, Crossparty
- Chris Grayling, Epsom and Ewell, Conservative
- Sally-Ann Hart, Hastings and Rye, Conservative
- Sir Oliver Heald, North East Hertfordshire, Conservative
- Baroness Jones of Moulsecoomb, Green
- Baroness Jones of Whitchurch, Labour
- Caroline Lucas, Brighton and Pavilion, Green
- Kerry McCarthy, Bristol East, Labour
- John McNally, Falkirk, SNP
- Lord Randall of Uxbridge, Conservative
- Selaine Saxby, North Devon, Conservative
- Lady Sheehan, Liberal Democrat
- Lord Teverson, Liberal Democrat
- Liz Twist, Blaydon, Labour
- Sir Gary Streeter, South West Devon, Conservative
You can find more information here: Blue Carbon - Parliamentary Briefing
If you are a parliamentarian and would like to be a voice for blue carbon in Westminster, please contact Brendon Queiroz at [email protected]
Co-funded by the European Union.