Become a member
Join our community of ocean lovers and help us to fight for a cleaner, better protected, healthier ocean.
A healthy ocean is crucial to the health of the planet
Our ocean is a hero in the fight against climate change. When healthy, it can capture nearly a third of our carbon emissions.
Yet our seas are becoming more polluted, precious habitats are being destroyed and human activity is damaging the ocean's ability to combat the climate crisis.
Credit: Mark Kirkland
We're passionate about helping our ocean recover. Will you join us?
By joining our community of supporters, volunteers and ocean experts you'll play a vital role in our work to:
Clean up our seas
Pollution is one of the five main drivers of the current biodiversity crisis. From single use plastics to microfibres, wet wipes to forever chemicals.
If we don’t act, our ocean will be poisoned by pollution – taking marine life and our planet’s health with it.
Protect marine life
93% of global fish stocks are fully or over-exploited. Less than 1% of our seas are well-managed. And 40% of marine mammals are currently under threat.
We need to ensure our seafood comes from sustainable sources and bring in policies to maintain healthy fish stocks and a healthy ocean.
Combat the climate crisis
In the UK alone, we have destroyed 90% of our seagrass beds. These important plants, once common around our shores, absorb carbon faster than the rainforests.
The more we continue to damage our ocean and its inhabitants, the less able we are to tackle the climate crisis.
What joining us will mean
- You’ll make our hands-on conservation work possible, whether that’s protecting kelp off the coast of Sussex or sea turtles in the Turks and Caicos islands
- You'll have the opportunity to take part in our citizen science projects, such as beach cleans or underwater surveys
- You can join in our campaigns to persuade governments and businesses to make the right choices for our ocean and our future
- You’ll learn how to shop for sustainable seafood and how to minimise your plastic usage
- You can join our online communities and keep up to date with all the big issues through our magazine and emails
- Whether on the coast, under the sea or far from it, our community makes a real difference to the health of the ocean and the health of our planet.
Credit: Billy Barraclough
Join the Marine Conservation Society today
By becoming a member of the Marine Conservation Society, you’ll receive the following:
- A digital or physical welcome pack which includes our ‘living without single-use plastic’ guide, Seashore safari booklet and reusable tote bag
- Three editions of Marine Conservation magazine every year
- Invitations to our supporter events
- The knowledge that your money is directly helping marine wildlife for future generations.
Credit: Natasha Ewins