Native oysters back in Dornoch Firth
Environmental first as Glenmorangie reintroduces native oysters to the Dornoch Firth: Oysters to work alongside new 6 million pound anaerobic digestion plant MCS is part of a ground-breaking environmental project which has seen Native European oysters reintroduced to coastal waters around Dornoch Firth after a century’s absence.
Oyster reefs are amongst the most endangered marine habitats on Earth and it is thanks to Glenmorangie’s foresight and long term commitment that we can create a pioneering reef restoration project in the Dornoch Firth. It will take many years, but we have the ambition that the DEEP project is an example that could be replicated in other parts of the world.Dr Bill Sanderson,
Associate Professor of Marine Biodiversity
Environmental first as Glenmorangie reintroduces native oysters to the Dornoch Firth: Oysters to work alongside new 6 pound million anaerobic digestion plant MCS is part of a ground-breaking environmental project which has seen Native European oysters reintroduced to coastal waters around Dornoch Firth after a century’s absence. In 2014 MCS forged an ambitious partnership known as the Dornoch Environmental Enhancement Project (DEEP), with project funders Glenmorangie Distillery which is based on the banks of the Firth, and Heriot-Watt University.
The re-introduction of the oysters to the Dornoch Firth comes as Glenmorangie officially opens its 6 million pound anaerobic digestion plant at its Distillery in the Highlands of Scotland today. Underlining the Distillery’s commitment to a sustainable’ future, the project’s vision was to restore long-lost oyster reefs to the Firth, to enhance biodiversity and also act in tandem with the anaerobic digestion plant to purify the by-products created through the distillation process - an environmental first for a Distillery.
Calum Duncan, Head of Conservation Scotland for the Marine Conservation Society said “Great strides have been taken in recent years to put in place new sites and measures to help improve the health of Scotland’s seas. Active re-instatement of living seabed habitats such as oyster reefs can play a crucial role in ocean recovery, which is why we are delighted to be part of this partnership and look forward to a successful trial paving the way for larger-scale restoration. Native oysters flourished in the Firth up to 10,000 years ago before being decimated in the 19th century due to overfishing. Their return to the Firth for the first time in over 100 years will enrich the eco-system of an important marine habitat. The plant is expected to purify up to 95 per cent of the waste water that the Distillery releases into the Firth with the remaining 5 per cent of the organic waste naturally cleaned by the oysters.
Hamish Torrie, director of corporate social responsibility, The Glenmorangie Company, said: “Glenmorangie’s Distillery has stood on the banks of the Dornoch Firth for over 170 years - and we want to ensure that the Firth’s pristine habitat will be preserved and enhanced over the next 170 years. “This restoration of oyster reefs in the Dornoch Firth, which is an internationally recognised special area of conservation, will help us realise our long term vision of a Distillery in complete harmony with its natural surroundings. Earlier this year, 300 oysters from the UK’s only sizeable wild oyster population in Loch Ryan were placed on two sites in the Firth. Over the next 18 months, they will be studied by Heriot-Watt University researchers with the aim of building an established reef within five years.
Marc Hoellinger, President and CEO of The Glenmorangie Company said: “The DEEP project goes a long way to fulfilling our ambition to be a fully sustainable business, and we are very grateful for the support of Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton (LVMH) and our partners in this exciting collaboration.
Actions you can take
- Find out more about Scottish Wildlife
- Download our guide showing how fish are farmed
- Download our guide showing how fish are caught
- Browse Scotland's Marine Atlas
Did you know?…
Over 3,000 sq km of our seabed is now protected from bottom-towed gear
To the shelf limits, Scotland has 61% of UK waters, of which 23% are now in existing or new ‘marine protected areas’
Farmed fish and shellfish production will have to increase by 133% by 2050 to meet projected seafood demand worldwide
What's your impact on our seas?
You can play a key role in securing the future of our seas and marine wildlife by making more environmentally responsible choices when buying seafood.
Make the right choice and reduce your impact - every purchase matters!See our top tips
Help protect 40% of English seas
Let the government know they must protect our ocean and marine wildlife before it’s too late.