Director of Finance and Resources/Company Secretary
|Contract:||Full time 35 hours per week|
|Salary:||up to £55,000 dependent on experience|
|Closing:||28 January 2018|
|Interviews:||to be arranged - expected to be week commencing 12 February 2018|
Plastic bags, microbeads, wet wipes, plastic bottles and straws are big news. Following the success of BBC1’s Blue Planet II and Sky Ocean Rescue there’s a growing understanding that we, as a nation, have to do something about the rising tide of plastic on our beaches and in our seas.
The Marine Conservation Society (MCS) is at the heart of this movement and is the UK’s leading marine charity based in Herefordshire with operating hubs in London and Edinburgh. We are the go-to organisation when it comes to marine issues and we’re looking for a visionary and driven Director of Finance & Resources to join our team.
You will be responsible for the Company Secretariat and provide strategic leadership on finance and resources across the charity, leading on financial strategy and organisational strategic development, and ensuring legal and constitutional compliance. As a member of the Senior Management Team, the position works closely with the Board and CEO with the responsibility for developing and implementing strategies that maintain the financial and administrative wellbeing of the organisation and facilitate the development of the strategic direction of the charity.
Your actions will allow your colleagues to make a massive difference to the future of our seas both at home and around the UK’s Overseas Territories.
The position comes with the responsibility for managing and developing the finance and Resources Team which includes Finance, IT & Data, HR, Office Services, Facilities and Governance. So the role is broad, but will provide you with the opportunity to develop the organisation’s infrastructure along with our ambitions for growth.
- Reporting to and advising the Board of Trustees on financial and operational resources, leading all aspects of financial planning, including reserves policy to ensure strong and effective processes are in place for resource allocation and performance monitoring
- Leading and motivating a team of staff to deliver high quality support services across finance, IT and Data, office systems, HR, premises, and contracts management.
- Supporting the Treasurer, Board and sub-committees, CEO, Senior Management Team, and budget-holders with accurate, timely and useful financial management information.
- Providing strong leadership, individually and as a member of the Executive Team, in supporting the development of MCS’s overall strategy and business planning
- Taking a lead role in ensuring that the charity is fully compliant with legal and regulatory requirements.
- CIMA, ACCA or ACA qualified accountant
- Charity accounting with strong technical accounting skills and the ability to maintain robust financial controls
- A track record of successful strategy development and of driving changes or improvements to business plans, policies and procedures.
- Evidence of strategic thinking skills – able to creatively secure better value for money.
- Excellent IT and data analysis skills including use of MS Office suite and at least one accounting package and one database package
- Ability to present information both written and orally to a range of senior stakeholders
- Significant experience in a senior financial position with experience of interacting at Board level
- Demonstrable experience of improving finance systems and establishing new, effective systems
- Leading and supporting HR, IT and Data and other service functions
- Experience of company secretarial and/or charity governance an advantage
MCS is the UK’s leading marine charity and our team work to ensure that our seas are healthy, pollution free and protected. Our reach is broad, which makes for an ambitious and challenging remit - to make your mark, apply using the information pack and application form.
For further information on how you can make your mark and support our actions in protecting our marine environment, download the information pack and application form.
Enquiries and further information
For any enquiries email email@example.com or telephone 01989 561574.
MCS is an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
Eligibility to work in the UK is required.
Registered Charity No: 1004005 (England & Wales) SC037480 (Scotland)
For more Marine Conservation jobs, see environmentjob.co.uk