Fish of the month
The best fishfinger sandwich you'll ever eat!
Children love any excuse to get messy in the kitchen and cooking from scratch together helps reconnect them with where their food comes from. So roll up their sleeves and encourage your little ones to get hands on creating these simple, delicious and healthy goujons for dinner. Recipe from Fish for Thought.
600g fresh uncoated pollack goujons
100g flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 eggs, beaten
130g fresh breadcrumbs
8 slices bloomer bread
A few handfuls of rocket leaves
2 ripe tomatoes
80ml good quality tartar sauce
Vegetable oil for deep frying
4 lemon wedges
- Roll the goujons in seasoned flour until evenly coated.
- Dip them in the beaten egg until evenly coated.
- Then roll them in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated.
- Deep fry them in hot oil for 4-6 minutes until golden brown, remove, drain and put on kitchen paper for a minute.
- To make the sandwich butter the bread, then add the goujons, some rocket, sliced tomato and a generous dollop of tartar sauce.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon and chilled glass of white wine … or a mug of tea works very well.
To make fresh tartar sauce, take some good quality mayo, add shallot, capers and gherkins all finely chopped. Then add some chopped parsley, a pinch of salt and a few twists of black pepper. Give it a good stir and enjoy.